Tennis Lighting “Fault”: Players Volley With City

by MissionViejoDispatch.com on December 18, 2012

A tennis player’s service fault may be due to bad lighting at the newly renovated Marguerite Tennis Center. Many club members now don’t want to play after dark, according to a letter to the City Wednesday on behalf of “Mission Viejo tennis players.”

The $5.4 million renovation included new lighting, but the letter says an intense glare is blinding the players. Players are asking for action since the new facility has been open for two months without resolution of the problem.

The missive to City Manager Dennis Wilberg asks:

1. What action is the City contemplating to fix the Iights? Why did the contractor bid document not specify standard state of the art tennis court lights that are commonly used in neighboring cities?
  2. Can the contractor who worked on the project fix/ readjust the lights or is a new contractor procurement required?
  3. What is the City’s schedule for fixing and bringing the lights up to a satisfactory playing standard?

The City has advised it is looking into the matter.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Felicia Golemo December 18, 2012 at 8:44 am

Just goes to show that it is “all about tennis” in Mission Viejo. I would think that the contractor would be happy to fix the problem. Good luck in getting anything done before 2013.

Ted Douglas December 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

I remember one Christmas I wanted a specific toy. My Grandparents bought me a gift that was similar to what I wanted, but not what I wanted. I was very upset and cried about it (I was 6). My parents told me that I should be happy with what I was given because there were plenty of kids that didn’t get anything.

I am sorry that their $5.4 million tennis court isn’t the Luke Skywalker action figure they feel they deserve, but they should enjoy what they have.

If they were world class tennis players, maybe there would be an issue, but I assume they are not. There are plenty of Tennis players that do not have the opportunity to play in such a state of the art center that would love the chance. Good lights, bad lights it doesn’t matter, they just want to play.

Ed Sachs December 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

As I stated numerous times during my campaign; it’s all about how you initially scope the project before sending out the work to bid. Having spent thousands of hours in my career scoping projects and bringing them in, or under budget (never once over budget,) I can tell you the way the city goes about these projects with the myriad of change orders would never be acceptable in the business world.

What kind of consultant and contractor did they have on the project? Had then done work of this nature before? Did either of them suggest the proper lighting for night play, and have it rejected by staff or council members due to costs? Lot of questions.

Bottom line now at least the city should be able to save electricity from the lack of night play at he tennis center.

[Editor's Note: The City encountered the same lighting problem years ago at the Felipe Tennis Center.]

Craig Dimer December 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hopefully the city shows a little bit more forcefulness with this contractor than they did with All American Asphalt who repaved Olympiad three times and left those of us in Stonegate with an abysmal excuse for a road. They need to make sure that the money they spend actually achieves results and not just pads the pockets of their campaign contributors.

Notwithstanding this, I still feel bad for the residents near Trabuco and Marguerite who will probably end up having those lights aimed at their hoses so that tennis players can have nice indirect lighting to play by. First the soccer courts at the Y, then the illegal 7Eleven project and now some nice bright lights in their bedroom windows so that we can have some recreational pay-per-play tennis stars. People need to wise up.

Byron Barbour December 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I have a 4×4 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I’ve taken all over the state on every type of road known to man and no problems. Yet, when I go down Olympiad in front of Craig’s tract it shakes like all four wheels are coming off. The first time I actually stopped and got out and checked over the car, I thought I had a tire coming apart.

However, in saying that I’ll trade my 7-11 for your road. These people aren’t interested in fixing anything.

Patti Bout December 30, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hoses?? Soccer courts?? Does Mr. Dimer even live in Mission Viejo??

[Editor's Note: "Hoses" should have been "houses" (editor's oversight). "Soccer Courts" is short for the YMCA's new "Basketball Court and Soccer Arena." Mr. Dimer resides in the MV Stoneridge neighborhood.]

Patti Bout December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

You know what sorta gets my shorts in a twist, is when people start complaining about something new being added to an existing facility, even though they bought their house knowing full well that facility was there and if they even thought about it, knew that more than likely there would be improvements over the years.

We bought our house knowing full well that living 3 blocks from a high school, 2 blocks from an elementary school and down the hill from a middle school, that we would see more than average traffic on school days and that all these schools would grow. I have never complained about any of the improvements to these schools or the school traffic, only about the so called adults that pay no attention what so ever to the speed limit of 25mph. But that probably happens in all the residential areas.

I know someone is going to come back & say that it’s not the improvements that make them angry, but the way the city council has gone about it. Well, I suppose that’s true in some cases, but to me, when all this complaining begins it sounds like a really bad case of NIMBY.

Oh, and why hasn’t anyone complained about the new sanctuary being built at St. Kilian’s (or have they)?? It’s massive and the lights might even shine in Mr Dimer’s, or someone else that lives in Stoneridge, windows.

Of course this is all just in my humble opinion and probably doesn’t reflect the opinions of 90% of the readers, but that’s what’s so great about free speech!

I also want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!