SVUSD & Teachers Union Reach Pay Accord

by MissionViejoDispatch.com on May 11, 2010

   The SVUSD Board of Trustees will vote tonight (Tuesday) on a proposed tentative salary agreement with District teachers.  A ratification vote by the Teachers Union will take place this Wednesday through Friday.

   The accord calls for a 2.85% salary decrease for time worked. Another 6.87% reduction will occur through furlough days and benefit concessions for a total 9.72% overall reduction in pay and benefits.  The cuts will save the District approximately $18 million of its $33 million budget shortfall.  Other savings will come in the form of increased class sizes, primarily in grades 1-3 where four more students could be added to each class.

   The agreement will be in effect for two years, and salary reductions, furlough days, and class size will be restored effective July 1, 2012, unless otherwise negotiated. The changes are effective with the Fall semester, except three furlough days will be scheduled next month on Monday, June 7; Friday, June 11; and Monday, June 14.

   The number of school days will be reduced from 180 to 175, the minimum currently prescribed under a statewide directive from Governor Schwarzenegger.

   The District had declared an impasse in negotiations in February.  The agreement was unexpected because Superintendent Fish’s retirement announcement last week indicated the stalemate would not be resolved before the end of this school year.  The understanding between the two sides came during mediation.  Prior to the announcement of the agreement it was anticipated a fact-finding panel would soon replace the mediator in seeking a compromise.

Share

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Adriana Brady May 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

Let’s get the other $15 million by reducing the salaries (by the same amount as the teachers’) of every politician in office, instead of taking it from our children’s education and future!

Joe Holtzman May 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

The teachers and administrators are to be congratulated for not following the same course of actions that took place in the Capo District. Obviously the students were the beneficiaries of this mature approach.

Tom Griggs May 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Get educated on where tax dollars go. Politicians paychecks are nowhere near the source of the drain on funds away from the classroom. It’s the obscene state employee union benefits and pension programs that are killing Kalyfornia. Regardless – Money is not the answer to better education; if it was our state would be first in the nation.

Trevor Wheaton May 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Thank goodness the CUSD reform board held firm against the union’s demands. The CUSD union leader portrayed their strike as a warning to other fiscally responsible boards throughout the state. Of course, it didn’t matter to her that those boards are just struggling to balance their districts budgets during these financially strained times. Thankfully, the CUSD board refused all substantive union demands and, instead, they became a good example to other boards throughout the state, proving that fiscally responsible boards CAN stand up to selfish union power politics.

Felicia Golemo May 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

I think Dr. Fish’s retirement will save SVUSD some future monies. Maybe we can give more to the kids as a result…that is an ideal thought in this economy, however without a vision the people perish and I hope this will be a good start towards balance.

Adriana Brady May 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Wow! Looks like I ruffled Tom’s feathers – is HE a politician?

Of course, my wish won’t come true! My statement should have read “Don’t you wish the other 15 million could come from politicians’ salaries?”

And if you’d like us to believe their salaries are not a drain on our economy, let’s talk about the ridiculous pensions and lifetime benefits THEY get! Not to mention the fact that in THIS economy, when they expect teachers and state employees to take a pay cut, they are not! What happened to leading by example?

How do YOU propose to fix this situation? Do you have a solution for the “obscene” pensions and benefits these teachers get? Are they not worth at least what the politicians are for teaching our children? What about the ridiculous pensions and benefits they get? And what about the fact that they are exempt from things like social security and the newest and greatest accomplishment of our president and his cronies: Obamacare! I say make social security mandatory for all politicians and watch it suddenly get fixed!

And you are right, money is not the solution to our education issue. The solution is to vote for politicians who will do the following (as a good start):
1. Put education first (they all say they will but who are they kidding?); and
2. Adopt the same immigration policies Arizona just did (and Texas is about to)

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: